Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Does ‘Game of Thrones’ need a creative rebound already?



‘Game of Thrones’ is one of those genre shows that inspires an entire regiment of angry fans whenever you dare call its quality into question.

Still, I was surprised yesterday when I was debating about purchasing season two for my video collection and I heard a couple voicing the thoughts I was internalizing.

“I don’t know if we should get it. It wasn’t as good as the first season.”

Now, it’s important to note that ‘Game of Thrones’ will probably never be able to live up to its first season because that was one of those rare perfect seasons. When a show doesn’t make one wrong turn in an entire season – you know you have something special.
I think that’s why the second season was so disappointing to me. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a bad season of television. In fact, it was still better than a good 75 percent of what’s out there – it just wasn’t as good as it should have been.

I think the biggest problem with ‘Game of Thrones’ is that the cast is simply too big.

This is an interesting and expansive universe, but there were times when I found myself struggling to remember exactly who was who – and what ties they had to others on the canvas – when it came time to fight for the throne.

I am invested in a lot of the characters – especially Arya and Tyrion, who both steal every scene they’re in – but there are a lot of secondary characters that start to drag momentum down.

Sure it was interesting watching the red witch give birth to the smoke monster from ‘Lost’ last season – but the outcome of that story was so boring that I couldn’t really get into it.

The other problem ‘Game of Thrones’ has is that they have a few weak actors in very important parts. The two biggest are Emilia Clark as Daenerys and Kit Harington as Jon Snow. Maybe I just didn’t notice how weak this duo was in the first season – after all, I was distracted with Daenerys getting naked every five seconds and Jon Snow was hidden behind all that hair.

Their shortcomings could not be ignored in the second season, though, and things stalled when either of them was on the screen.

Side note: If you think Harington is bad as Jon Snow, you should have seen him in the new ‘Silent Hill’ movie – it was almost painful to watch, but I digress.



‘Game of Thrones’ has a lot to offer. I’m invested in Tyrion and his ongoing struggles with his family. I desperately want to see both Joffrey and Cersei get what is coming to them. I’m even intrigued by what’s to come for Jamie Lannister.

To get back on track, though, ‘Game of Thrones’ needs to narrow their focus and zoom in on what is important. I understand book purists are going to cry like little babies, but if they don’t reign in the show a little bit – people are going to feel overwhelmed by the world and start tuning out.

Oh, and for those that are curious, I opted not to get the second season of ‘Game of Thrones.’ I may buy it down the line, but when I honestly sat down and thought about it – there was only one episode I had any interest in rewatching (I bet everyone knows which one).

What do you think? Does ‘Game of Thrones’ need some tweaking for the third season?

3 Comments:

Blogger David A Brand said...

Honestly I think people that start disliking a show because it has "too many characters" are just dumb. For the record, the second season was amazing,very worthy of purchase, especially for you because you underappreciated it.

February 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM 
Blogger Robert said...

Well, I'm glad that the opinions of 3 people in the world means that a series that is wildly popular and successful needs a creative rebound.
You're in the minority. The 2nd season was awesome. Seasons 3 is going to be even better.

February 21, 2013 at 5:40 AM 
Blogger bainsidhe said...

In this instance, your audience is divided into 2 types of people: those who read and those who watch.

Most people who read will be the only people who truly appreciate a book-to-screen done well. Those who don't... well... if you don't like reading, chances are, you will get confused and disheartened when a truly epic story like this is brought to the screen.

The tv series only holds probably 75% of what is in the book. Hollywood can only do so much, your imagination is key. And if your brain is too "lazy" to make the effort of trying to follow and piece together the little details that enhance each event, then maybe this is not for you.

February 21, 2013 at 1:20 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home