Thursday, May 24, 2012

Star Wars celebrates its 35th Anniversary


A long time ago, in a theater far, far away I fell in love with a film series that would somehow consume my life.

Sure, I was two when the first ‘Star Wars’ movie came out – later to be renamed ‘A New Hope’ – but I still fell in love with the original trilogy. I had Star Wars everything – toys, sheets, Halloween costumes, slippers, etc. In fact, my Grandma made me an R2D2 cake every year for my birthday.

Star Wars wasn’t just a movie for me, though, it was a lifestyle.

‘The Empire Strikes Back’ was the first ‘Star Wars’ movie I saw on the big screen – and I made my mom take me multiple times. So many times, in fact, that she had her own rebellion and made me stop at six. I tried to squash that rebellion like I was the Emperor himself – but my fate was much the same as his.

Then, when ‘Return of the Jedi’ came out – I was in fourth grade and the obsession really took hold. Yes, I even loved the Ewoks. When I went to Disney World that year, I didn’t get any plush Disney stuffed animal – I immediately was drawn to Wicket on the stand.

I was not one of those little girls who wanted a Cabbage Patch Kid or to dress up Barbie dolls. In fact, during all that Cabbage Patch hoopla – I got the Millenium Falcon and scoffed at all the girls carrying those ugly little dolls around.

Part of my office
Instead of pretending to mother those horrific things and brush their yarn hair, I was off liberating the galaxy and making it safe for rebel scum everywhere.

Do you think I’m obsessed? Yeah, it’s a little sad.

The truth is, my obsession still continues to this day. Sure, I’ve added ‘Lord of the Rings’ and ‘Harry Potter’ into the mix – but my house is still a ‘Star Wars’ home.

Between cookie jars, board games, messenger bags, earrings, hats and more T-shirts and hoodies than I can even name – my ‘Star Wars’ infatuation has really taken on a life of its own. If ‘Star Wars’ was alcohol or drugs, someone would have organized the intervention a long time ago.

So, what is it about ‘Star Wars’?

I think it’s that the original trilogy managed to spark my imagination. It had a strong heroine that didn’t need any man to save her. Sure, she kissed her brother but she ended up with the handsome rogue in the end – so all was right with the world.

Now, I’m not going to pretend the new trilogy measures up – that would be disingenuous. I honestly think that George Lucas was trying to make great movies when he took on the endeavor – he just got tripped up on his own ego in the process.

That being said, the newer trilogy isn’t awful either. There are some genuinely wonderful moments in the films – especially ‘Revenge of the Sith’ – but they just don’t hold the magic of the original.

So, this Memorial Day, when you’re done with your barbecues and fireworks, pop in a classic (the Blu-Rays are visually breathtaking) and revisit Luke Skywalker and friends.

I guarantee you won’t regret it.

Trust me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home